Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Praline Connection - New Orleans

Past the bustling and hustling French quarter you can find a more quiet New Orleans. The Marigny neighborhood at 4pm seems lazy with locals, drinking coffee on side walks lined with old houses and flowers hanging from French balconies, or else browsing in an old bookstore filled with everything from travel companions to foreign titles. Looking up at the corner of Chartres and Frenchmen st. I see an old sign that says the Praline Connection.



Inside the staff wears crispy clean white shirts, ties and black hats. They sat me down at the window so I can look out on the empty street filled with sunlight. I should have been more adventurous with my food, I know. There are fried chicken livers for appetizers and fried pickles for side. But I was hungry and on a budget. The shrimp po-boy came first, twice the size of what i expected it to be. Lightly battered shrimps fried to a golden brown inside a loaf of French bread with lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise. It tastes a lot lot better than it sounds.


My desert came next, creamy bread pudding with a praline sauce - tooth-achingly sweet; and yet I kept eating until there was no more on the plate.


The servers walk by occasionally, winking at me, filling up my water glass and chatting with me about the restaurant, New Orleans and food. And I feel happy walking back, passed empty verandas and sleepy cats, and started waiting for the time I can come back for more.


The Praline Connection
542 Frenchmen Street
New Orleans, LA

1 comment:

  1. nhìn thèm quá
    ko biết từ "thèm" tiếng Mỹ nói sao nữa

    ReplyDelete